"You're Fired!" - More Results from our "All About Bosses" Survey

Published on Topic: Bosses

We just finished our "All About Bosses" survey and we were surprised at the results. Read below for more from the survey results, and go here to click through the colorful slideshow.

“You’re Fired!”  Thirty-nine Percent of Women Would Replace Their Boss

·       In a surprising survey about what women think about their bosses, 39% said they would replace their boss today if they could.

·       While the majority of women (58%) love or like their boss, 26% hate or dislike their boss and 16% are ambivalent.

·       In fact, 43% of the women taking the survey say they try to avoid interacting with their boss as much as possible.  And, based on the stories they shared, it is with good reason.  Here’s how one survey-taker describes her current boss, “She is full of drama.  She thinks she knows it all.  She lies.  She has to have the last word in every discussion.  She plainly just sucks!’

·       This SheByShe study shows gender does not have a strong sway in how women feel about their boss.  About half the women taking the survey work for another woman (49%) with the other half working for a man (51%). 

·       When asked if gender plays a role in the effectiveness of your boss, a strong 68% say no.  And, 73% of the survey takers have no preference whether or not they work for a man or a woman.  One woman commented, “I've had great male bosses before. This one is just a jerk. I don't feel every male boss is a jerk.”

·       Another survey respondent said, “Knowledge and leadership ability are not gender-specific.”

·       Bosses have a tremendous amount of impact on our careers and many women don’t feel their boss is helping them.  Forty-six percent of women taking this survey don’t believe their boss has had a positive impact on their career growth and development. 

·       Forty-five percent of the survey takers say they do not receive regular, constructive feedback from their boss, and 41% say they do not receive specific objectives and clear expectations.  Forty-five percent went as far to say their boss doesn’t really help them much at all.  One survey-taker explained, “My boss rarely communicates with me.  There is never any praise or criticism of my work.  He provides no feedback despite being asked.  He talks about me behind my back with other employees instead of coming to me about problems.  He refuses to discuss the future of the business and my employment.”

·       When asked what qualities define a good boss, the results revealed a wide range of opinions, although the following eight qualities of a good boss were mentioned by most of the survey-takers:

  1.  Respectful
  2. Good communicator
  3.  Honest
  4. Fair
  5.  Knowledgeable
  6. Good listener
  7.  Mentoring
  8.  Motivating

·       One woman described the perfect boss as, “Being fair across the board and not taking sides.  Someone praising your work rather than always pointing out mistakes, and respecting employees by not talking down to them.  A good boss gives your employees some freedom to enjoy the time at work.”

·       Another said a good boss is, “Someone that sets goals ... and, actively follows through.  Someone interested in my growth, and who pushes me in a positive fashion.”

·       The online survey polled U.S. women between the ages of 20 and 64, 87% are employed full-time and 13% are employed part-time.